Oh What a Difference a Backdrop Makes

Backdrop from www.MagicBackdrops.com


I love doing shows with my backdrop!

It really helps give everything a more professional appearance, and makes it easier for me to charge more for gigs.

This particular backdrop is from Jeff Jones at Magic Backdrops in Raleigh, NC. He's a real nice guy and his company makes these very useful and portable systems. It literally sets up in about 30 seconds with a bit of practice. Figure a minute the first few times you use it.

I first saw this backdrop system when I was doing a lecture at the KIDabra convention a few years back. This is the international association of family and childrens entertainers, a very good group to hook up with.

The lecture I was presented focused on building backdrops yourself for as little as $30. The main topic of the lecture was not the curtains you see in front, it was about the structural support behind. Also covered were unusual backdrops, stage settings, etc. I even showed how to use an inflatable pool as a backdrop.

During the lecture I invited a few people to come up on stage and show off backdrops they had made, then we discussed the strengths and weaknesses of each system. I really enjoyed this part. When Jeff brought his backdrop up on stage, we were all blown away. It was awesome, and we had never seen anything like it in terms of simplicity and professional appearance.

Since then Jeff has become quite a well known figure in magic, and his backdrops are very popular. He has many available styles to pick from on his website (www.MagicBackdrops.com), but you don't have to buy his curtains. You can just buy the support and add your own materal if you like.

In the photo, you see my stage setting. For this shot I moved the table closer to the center, but when I perform it's further stage right so you see almost the whole curtain. The suitcase and tablecloth I found at a thrift store. I love thrift stores! I designed the sign myself and had it printed onto outdoor banner material so it lasts forever. Sometimes I'll attach the sign to the lid of my suitcase.

When I'm done, the banner, tablecloth, backdrop stand and curtains all fit into the shoulder-bag, the hat goes on my head, the table folds and the suitcase closes. During gigs when I'm also doing balloons, the pump fits into the shoulder-bag with the backdrop and curtains. It's not the bag that comes with the backdrop, mine is bigger. Tear-down takes about 2-3 minutes including resetting a few props in my case.

Getting a good backdrop, or building it yourself, is a great way to really improve your appearance and perceived value in the eyes of your clients. Well worth the investment of money or time.

4 comments:

  1. The side panels can swing back or forth, and the height is adjustable. By positioning the sides towards the back, it creates a small enclosed backstage are that I've used on many occasions to finish preparations while the audience is entering the theater.

    I forgot to mention that this backdrop system can even be used in living rooms for birthday party shows. Very versatile indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thrift store tablecloth is awesome. I have to agree, your backdrop is amazing and takes the program to another lever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a pop-up backdrop system that is portable and extremely professional looking as well at www.SteelXPro.com ! You may want to take a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That website for SteelXPro looks like it has some nice backdrops. Unfortunately, the site itself has an auto-playing video. Big no-no.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your clean and civil comments. Remember, there may be children looking at my blog since I am a childrens entertainer as well as a graphic designer.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Grand Illusions

Here is a wonderful YouTube channel about toys, optical illusions, magic tricks, and other interesting items presented by Tim Rowett in the UK.