Get started creating your own magic book to sell

You probably already have everything you need

Learn Magic - back cover
Back Cover Sample
When commissioning a Learn Magic instant author kit, I'll need a few things from you to customize it and make it your own. You probably already have them, so it should be pretty easy.

I use Dropbox to transfer and store your files so you'll have access to them also. When our project is begun, I'll set up a folder and send you an invitation link so you can use it to send me files. There is plenty of storage space (about 1tb), so send the largest files you have.

Of course I'll need your contact info. Website link and phone number are usually all that's needed, sometimes not even the phone number. Email address also if you don't have a contact form on your site.

A hi-resolution (300dpi) logo is very helpful, especially on the front cover. If you don't have a logo, you're in luck. I love designing logos! When you purchase my instant author kit, I will create a logo for you at a reduced rate. See elsewhere in this blog where I created a logo for Kyle Groves and the Party People Magic Theater. You can also check out my portfolio to see samples of other logos I've designed. 

As you can see in the photo of the back cover, the third paragraph is a short bio highlighting your main "selling points". Keep it short and simple, no need to include many details. I can edit it to fit in the space.

If you'd like your photo on the front cover, it must be a very large hi-resolution image, at 300 dpi. It's going to be printed in color and fill a lot of space on the page, so it needs to look good. If you don't have a photo for the front cover, that's fine. As you can see in the sample sheet of the cover templates, most will work just fine as is with only the addition of your name as the author. Since I have about 1tb of storage space in my DropBox folder, send lots of files... the more to choose from the better.

Cover templates
Click to embiggen


For the inside pages, headshots are quite useful. I've included a sample page here to show how they are used. Again, hi-resolution images are ideal, but for interior pages I can work with smaller photos if needed. Most pages are set up as two columns, with just a few single or triple columns.
Card spelling sample page

Many pages have short hints and tips, with your photo indicating that these are personalized by you. I already have them written out, so you don't need to specify them, but if you already have some you'd like to include let me know. Any trick that involves cutting includes a reminder to have an adult help. Safety first!

Your logo can be incorporated into the interior pages as well as the cover. A few pages have less empty space, so your logo may not fit in all of them. Some people, however, only want the logo on the front cover. I can fit your web link into every page.

The layout is somewhat adjustable on most of the pages, but you don't have to worry about that since I'll take care of making sure your design elements fit.

The printing of the books will be done via www.CreateSpace.com and distributed thru them and Amazon along with some other outlets. You'll need to set up an account on CreateSpace, which I'll need access to so I can set up your online store page. Once the project is finished, feel free to change your password since I won't need access after that.

Finally, I'll design a poster to use for your BOR sales table, either 11x17 or 8½x11. Let me know which you prefer.

During the process, which usually takes a week once all the files are sent to me, I'll keep you up-to-date on what's happening so you know how the project is progressing. Once everything is finished, you have the choice to order the wholesale books yourself or thru me. If you want me to deal with the ordering process, I'll add on a small percentage of each book for my time and effort.

Oh yeah, I'll also create a folder in the DropBox with each page as a separate PDF file. This way you can print them up individually on your own for giveaways or instruction sheets for teaching magic classes. I recommend including at least your web link on the separate pages to help you book additional gigs.

And, I'll design graphics for you to use on your website to sell your online versions.





I look forward to working with you on your new BOR sales item, and I hope you'll make lots of money selling them after your gigs and online thru your website!

Contact me when you're ready to sell a magic book with you as the author

Greg McMahan
Mister Greggy
Greg@MisterGreggy.com
404-452-4620
 

P.S.
If you’d like to learn the art of selling merch "Back of room" after your show, Matt Adams' BOR ebook is perfect for you! With a single use license, you will get all of Matt's tips and tricks that will get you selling FAST. If you aren't making a few hundred dollars after every one of your shows with merchandise, you are missing out!

Here's the direct link: PayPal.me/illusionist/35
 

Or just PayPal $35 directly to MattAdamsMagic@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your clean and civil comments. Remember, there may be children looking at my blog since I am a childrens entertainer as well as a graphic designer.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Grand Illusions

Here is a wonderful YouTube channel about toys, optical illusions, magic tricks, and other interesting items presented by Tim Rowett in the UK.