Site Update Status - Looking At Layouts

This magician needs a name... any ideas?

So far so good!

Here's a funny image I found on a public domain site recently. I would love to use it in my site update, it's just so goofy! Maybe I'll replace the bunny with a steampunk iPad that has my face on the screen.

I found a very useful flexible grid system on which to layout my updated portfolio site. My favorite feature is it's flexibility. Hence the name. What that means is it adapts to any size screen. When viewed on a regular size computer screen it has a nice layout. When viewed on a smaller screen (like a smartphone), it rearranges itself to make more efficient use of the space available. It even adapts well to a very large screen.

It's based on this page I found. When you load it, re-size your browser window and you'll see how it adapts. Pretty cool huh! However, it's more difficult to work with and requires a lot of fiddling with the CSS to get everything looking good.

Another option is a fixed size grid system. There are lots of them available, mostly based on a 960 pixel width divided into 12 or 16 columns. I use a similar system with my existing sites, keeping them to 960 pixels (or is it 940, I'd have to check) which scales well on a smart phone.

If I stick with the 960 grid system I'm using now, it will speed up my work a lot. However, taking the time to learn the flexible grid will be a good step towards developing more skills to offer future clients.

I'll think about it tonight, play around some more with the various frameworks and figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your clean and civil comments. Remember, there may be children looking at my blog since I am a childrens entertainer as well as a graphic designer.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Grand Illusions

Here is a wonderful YouTube channel about toys, optical illusions, magic tricks, and other interesting items presented by Tim Rowett in the UK.