My Portfolio Needs an Update

I'll be updating my portfolio
at www.GregMcMahan.com
I Can Do Better!

I've been looking at my design portfolio recently. It's a decent looking site, easy to navigate, but a bit boring and it contains too many samples.

My tagline is "The Magician Designer", but except for my top hat nothing really emphasizes the magician part. Being a professional magician and a designer is a good image to use for branding my services, so I'm going to re-design my site to take advantage of that.

When I create a new design, I prefer to start with the visual. I've been scanning as many images of "magic" and "magician" I can find, online and in my collection here at home and office. Lots of ideas, including some fun unobtrusive HTML5 animations to add a bit of fun to the site.

I've also decided to simplify the back-end procedure for updating my portfolio. Right now there's a lot of steps involved, and I want to make it much easier to do. Upload an image, update a file and I'm done. Let the coding take care of the rest, including the thumbnail creation.

The new site will showcase fewer samples of my work so I can focus on the ones I feel best show my strengths as a designer. Here's one I'm really proud of that I'll be placing up front: www.SunshineIslandShow.com. I was so happy with the way it turned out I used the same basic layout, with Mike's permission, when I updated my entertainer site. It may be best to stick with that basic design to create consistency. Or not. I'll research that.

My plan is to use PHP, jQuery, HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript. I like these languages and I'm comfortable with them. Not an expert by any means, but there are so many open source/public domain scripts available to choose from that I'm sure I'll find exactly what I want that require the minimum of editing. Why reinvent the wheel?

I'll keep you updated as the site is progressing... this will be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your clean and civil comments. Remember, there may be children looking at my blog since I am a childrens entertainer as well as a graphic designer.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Grand Illusions

Here is a wonderful YouTube channel about toys, optical illusions, magic tricks, and other interesting items presented by Tim Rowett in the UK.