Teach Magic - Get Routine

Developing a routine by teaching a trick.


I've been teaching beginner magic classes for many years, even before I started teaching with Circus Camp in 1992. I've compiled many of those tricks and other bits in my book Learn Magic with Mister Greggy. It's also an instant author system which I've been updating.

I really enjoy teaching, and I'm getting pretty good at it. One of the things I've noticed is I develop simple routines with each trick I teach, so I can use those tricks when I do strolling work (since they are all close-up).

The latest trick I've been teaching, not included in the book, it a ring climbing up a rubber-band. Very simple in technique, most kids 7 and older can do it after just a bit of practice.

When I first demonstrate the trick I do a short routine so they know what trick I'm teaching. I don't have a video of my actual routine, but here's a kid online demonstrating the trick so you have a better idea what I'm talking about.

 


I use a paperclip instead of a ring. I introduce the paperclip, his name is "Phillipe". He's a circus tightrope walker. Slip him onto the broken rubber-band, hold between two hands and lift up the end with Phillipe. "Watch as he bravely travels down the dangerous tightrope of doom!" Do this a couple of times, the kids will tell you it's not much of a trick. They're right, so far. Then announce that "Phillipe will now travel UP the tightrope, to the amazement and delight of all!"

This is a fun & simple trick. If you do this, I've found it works a little better to put a knot at each end of the rubber band. Here are some tips when teaching it.

I show how the rubber band "snaps quickly" when pulled and let go, pretending it hurts my hand. Now I grab it in the middle, stretch and let it "snap slowly" so the kids can see it slide up thru my finger & thumb. Some of the kids will get it at this point. Then I put the paperclip back on and do the slow snap again, now everybody gets it. For larger crowds, I demonstrate with a thick rubber band with lines marked on it so the kids can see the movement.

Explaining that it can be done with other items helps to start their creativity. Finger ring, ear ring, small folded piece of paper, unbroken rubber band, anything lightweight enough to hang on the band.

It's an easy trick to keep in stock, since rubber bands and paperclips don't take up too much room in your case.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your clean and civil comments. Remember, there may be children looking at my blog since I am a childrens entertainer as well as a graphic designer.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Grand Illusions

Here is a wonderful YouTube channel about toys, optical illusions, magic tricks, and other interesting items presented by Tim Rowett in the UK.